Which are the common clutch problem and defects?
Clutch is one of the most used components in a vehicle. It wears out due to constant usage and friction and develops problems. Hence, its performance deteriorates. So, let's look at some of the most common clutch problem and defects in a vehicle.
1. Clutch slippage: Common Clutch Problems and Defects
The clutch slips at the mating surfaces due to its inadequate frictional torque or engine power. It may be caused by the following factors:
- Worn out linings of the clutch plate.
- Greasy friction surface or clutch linings.
- Locked or bound pedal travel
- Incorrect pedal adjustment such as free-play and travel on clutch pedal or release bearing
- Weak or broken pressure springs
- Burnt or scored surface of flywheel or pressure plate.
- Floorboard or carpet incorrectly fitted
2. Clutch Problem:
Clutch drag or spin & inability to engage a gear when you press the pedal, resulting in a jammed driven plate. This is caused by the following:
- Misalignment resulted due to the weight of the hanging gearbox on the spindle
- Broken or greasy clutch and pressure plate or flywheel
- Incorrect pedal adjustment – insufficient actual pedal travel, excessive free-play of the pedal or slave cylinder push rod
- Locked drive plate
- Broken or incorrectly adjusted release levers
- Damaged clutch cover, driven plate or friction or pressure plate
- Clutch release bearing defective
3. Common Clutch Problem and Defects:
Judder & vibrations resulting in a sudden forward jump of the vehicle is caused by the following factors:
- Greasy facing or friction surfaces
- Misalignment of gear box caused by distortion of the clutch housing
- Loose or badly worn linings
- Loose or protruding rivets
- Too much backlash in universal joints or rear axle
- Flywheel loose on crankshaft flange
- Estrangement of engine tie bar
- Uneven wear of friction surfaces
- Defective engine mountings allowing excessive torque reaction movement
- Bent splined shaft or driven plate
- Defective release mechanism
4. Clutch Problem: Snatch or fierceness caused by the following:
- Locked pedal mechanism
- Greasy friction surfaces
- Worn out surfaces
5. Tick or knock caused by the following:
- Worn out pilot bearings
- Worn out hub splines due to misalignment
6. Clutch Problem and Defects: Rattle in the clutch is caused by:
- Worn out release mechanism
- Damaged driven plate
- Loose release bearings
- Worn out transmission bearings
- Worn out or bent splined shaft
- Excessive backlash in transmission also causes clutch problem & defects.
Eaton and Spicer are some of the popular manufacturers of clutch systems in the world.
Read more: Top reasons for engine overheating>>